Hands of Hope provides beds, showers, bathrooms, a kitchen/dining room, and large gathering room in its Mission Center for mission teams who volunteer.
Where do the mission trip members stay when volunteering for Hands of Hope?
Hands of Hope provides clean, safe facilities for mission trip volunteers at their Mission Center located at 145 McDowell Street in Welch, West Virginia. The Mission Center is located on the second floor of The Hope Chest store building at the same location. It can house up to 14 volunteers. (When the downstairs Hope Chest store relocates in 2022, the first floor will be renovated into more space for even more volunteers.)
What is available at the Mission Center for volunteers to use?
Provided for the volunteers includes:
- Air conditioned rooms
- Bedrooms with single beds or bunk beds
- Private Bathrooms
- Private Showers
- Large dining room
- Large gathering room or living room
- Private apartment, if eligible
- Kitchen: The kitchen is equipped with the following: pots, pans, dishes, silverware, coffeepot, cooking utensils, dish towels, hot pads, refrigerator, freezer.
- Hands of Hope Ministries recommends bringing your own drinking water because many locals and volunteers do not care for the high chlorine taste of the local tap water.
Items that need to be brought by volunteer teams:
- All bed sheets and blankets
- Private hygiene products like soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc.
- All food needed for the trip; bring coolers
- All paper plates, plastic silverware, paper napkins, paper towels, garbage bags, etc.
- Bring or purchase all bottled water to drink; prefer volunteers not drink tap water
- Bring or purchase all ice to use; prefer volunteers not use tap water
- The kitchen will not be equipped with paper towels, napkins, foil, plastic wrap, sandwich bags, ice, and salt & pepper.
- A Mission Group should also bring coolers for drinks and lunch provisions. Since a Group is responsible for preparing your own meals, don’t forget to bring favorite cooking pan, toaster, or griddle if needed.
- The Mission Group may also want to bring paper plates/cups, plastic utensils.
- First Aid Kit
- Appropriate clothing & shoe wear according to the work designated to the mission trip & mission team etiquette.
Bedrooms may be designed as either male or female rooms according to team members gender numbers. Exception: A married couple/or family together with a parent exclusively uses a room. All bathrooms and showers are private and are not designated as male or female only.
Like any mission trip to any location anywhere, it is advised that team members say together in groups and keep mission team leaders notified where volunteers are working or visiting at all times. In addition, if youth are volunteering, an adult must accompany them at all times outside the Mission Center.
Is there a cost to stay at the Hands of Hope Mission Center?
Yes, there is a $25.00 fee per person, per night to stay at the Mission Center. There is not a hotel in Welch, WV nor a campground in the area. Hands of Hope prohibits any recreational vehicles (RVs) to camp in its parking lots or on its facilities properties. (Also keep in mind that there is also a registration fee (deposit for mission trip participation as well.)
Only volunteers staying at the Mission Center may use the center facilities during their stay.